Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Sesame Street and Vivaldi "Concerto in D"

If you remember this from your childhood, it should bring a tear to your eye. In response to my post on Billy Idol, an appreciative commenter (Mike Erickson) said he had spent the early 80's playing and listening to classical guitar, and had missed Billy Idol. Well, for those of you who were listening to Billy Idol and missed Vivaldi, here is a wonderful short film from Sesame Street that unites a visual and melodic theme in a brilliant way. I spent two decades trying to identify this piece after hearing it as a child. If this post pleases anyone then all the effort of this entire web site is doubly justified. This is the Concerto for Guitar (or Lute) in D. John Williams has an excellent recording.

5 comments:

Mike Erickson said...

I agree this is a wonderful video. I like Vivaldi and I have his Concerto in D Major with John Williams and the English Chamber Orchestra. I haven't listened to it in a long time but I will tomorrow, and afterwards the first episode of "The Legend of the Seeker"! Thank you Ted.

Anonymous said...

This is one of the most beautiful music videos ever. I have been wanting a copy of this since the last time it played on Sesame Street in 1989. Thnak you for providing this.

Ted Keer said...

It was my great pleasure, Anonymous.

Anonymous said...

Yup. Brought a tear to my eye. Ah memories.

Thanks, been looking for this for a long time!

Anonymous said...

Wow, the internet is an amazing thing! I too have wondered what that piece was since I first heard it in the late seventies. Some young people suggested I search on Youtube and that lead me to your site. Thank you so much! It doesn't make me sad, it makes me happy.