Saturday, December 20, 2008

"Jodhaa Akbar" an Epic from India

I don't know the reason why I selected this movie, Jodhaa Akbar, from Netflix. I suspected it was from Ted, but I can't find the reference. [see here. -Ted] It is a truly breathtaking spectacle and has a theme that will appeal to all those who value personal integrity, honor, and bravery. In the 1550's, a benevolent emperor, Jalaluddin Mohammad Akbar, has the ambition to unify Hindustan by peaceful means. The scenery is gorgeous, the characters are well crafted, and the plot is heroic in scale.

This movie will be roundly condemned by the usual militant supects because the hero is tolerant of all religions and even marries a Hindu while he himself is a Muslim. Some viewers may be critical of it for being too long (3 hrs 45 min) and for being subtitled, but I found neither to be distracting. This film is available on YouTube. For a detailed description you can read more about it at Wikipedia. I recommend it, unreservedly. There is no doubt that Bollywood can produce first rate, grand scale movies.
–Sam Erica

Here is the studio trailer:



And here is the first segment of the full length film with better sound and English subtitles:

1 comment:

Ted Keer said...

Thanks alot, Sam. This looks like a great find. I am glad to see that the Indians are producing blockbuster epics like some of the great films like Hero, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and House of Flying Daggers coming out of China. I intend to watch this right away.